Black Bean Veggie Steak Burger


I wanted to try and incorporate more meatless meals in my family's diet, so I've been experimenting with a lot of whole grains, beans and lentils. It has been over a year now of making my own homemade breads, rolls, biscuits and pizza doughs. August 8th, 2012 marked my 1st anniversary year of homemade bread making and another item that has been crossed off of my grocery list!

I've tried the frozen veggie burgers. It just didn't seem appetizing to serve fresh homemade bread with frozen veggie burgers. After viewing tons of recipes online, I made a few adjustments and here is my recipe that is both yummy and nutritious.


Ingredients:

1 can (15 oz) of black beans drained (rinsed for lower sodium)
2 egg whites
1 red or green/yellow bell pepper
or 1/3 combination diced
1 medium diced onion
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour or other grains
4 garlic cloves (minced) or garlic powder
2 tbs of olive oil (coat baking pan)
1 tsp of chili powder
Add other seasonings to taste





Mash beans with a fork or put in a food processor. In a medium bowl combine beans along with chopped vegetables and other ingredients. Shape into (4) patties and bake on a lightly oiled baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Turn burgers over after 10 minutes.

Total Prep time is 10 - 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
 

Shape into patties and place on a lightly oiled baking pan.
These burgers are also great on the grill! Yum! 





Enjoy with your favorite side dishes or as a veggie steak burger! 
Below served with hash browns & salad greens w/nonfat ginger sauce ~ Yum!




Popular Posts