Healthier Ways To Have Your Steak And Eat It Too!

 
There is so much talk about red meat not being healthy,
that I completely removed red meat from diet.
But, that didn't stop my cravings for my favorite
thin-cut T-bone steak with A-1 sauce paired with my
favorite cabernet.

I decided to do a little research of my own in reference to
healthy foods. My initial findings left me more confused than ever before.

Basically, my grocery list was practically empty.
No cow milk, no eggs, no sugar of any kind and nothing with gluten and no red meat. Come on! Just about everything has some gluten.

I found myself at a total loss at the grocery store. I would often leave feeling very frustrated with only a few items on my list.  


Okay, so I decided to just eat almost everything I want, but in moderation. Of course, there are some foods that are just too high in fats and other additives that must be avoided. I no longer eat fast food burgers or fries, but I do have a much more healthier burger along with a few home made fries on special occasions just a few times throughout the year. I will have to do a special blog on my "healthier naughty cravings".

Below are a few healthier ways to have your steak and eat it too!


Fresh Roasted Herbs And Garlic With New York Steak Strips

Ingredients:
1-2 pounds of lean New York steaks  -
sliced into thin strips.
2 large vidalia onions sliced
2 medium bell peppers sliced
3 medium carrots cut into thin strips
2 whole garlic cloves
3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
Fresh garden herbs(optional)
1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt
Crushed black pepper
Other seasonings to your taste
Fresh spinach leaves or any favorite salad greens 
Makes 4-5 servings



                                           Slice steaks into thin strips





I grow fresh herbs on my back patio deck which allows easy access from my kitchen while cooking. Herbs are a healthy part of any diet and nutritional plan. They also help bring out the flavor of many meats, pasta dishes and more. Pictured are basil, oregano, pineapple sage, lemon thyme, and parsley. 




Saute the beef strips in 2-3 tablespoons of light olive oil with sliced garlic cloves.
Add fresh herbs and seasonings.




I try to use fresh vegetables for most of my recipes, especially in the summer growing season.



Lightly saute the onions separately in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add fresh herbs. Try not to over cook the onions. I love crispy sauteed vegetables!

Here are the strips served on a bed of salad greens with whipped potatoes




For the dish below, I just sauteed a few more fresh vegetables and herbs with my favorite T-bone steak sliced into thin strips.

I cut away the fat from the T-bone steak




Served over a bed of steamed rice!






Popular Posts